"specified service already exists" error
John Dalberg
2004-08-16 19:54:34 UTC
Using Windows 2000 Workstation:

I have spent hours trying to install an msi file. It gives me incorrect
command line parameters error.

I tried in vein to reinstall Windows Installer using the methods in:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315346.

I renamed the DLLs and msiexec.exe but everytime I reboot, the Windows
Installer gets installed automatically. I reinstalled SP4. and everytime I
run InstMsiW.exe, I get a specified service already exists.

- How do I remove Windows Installer and stop Windows from reinstalling it
upon reboot?
- Why do I get the above message and how do I remove/stop/kill/get rid of
the installer service so that InstMsiW.exe continues?
- Why does running msiexec /V give "Invalid Function" error?
- The installer gets installed by itself but I can't find the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer key. How
come the installer says service exists but the key is missing?
- How do I know if the installer service is actually running? I can't find
in the service control panel.

- Is there a tool that converts .msi files to some other kind of
installation.. installshield maybe?

I am really getting fed up with this wretched piece of software. Please
help.

John
talking_bear
2005-01-03 16:37:09 UTC
i'm afraid i do not have an answer to How do I remove Windows Installer and
stop Windows from reinstalling it upon reboot? but i think i know the why of
it: do u have a folder called C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache? if yes it probably
contains msiexec.exe (together with msi dlls). this is the folder used by the
FPS (windows file protection system). this is a feature of windows that is
designed to protect against acement/overwriting/corruption of a number of
system files. actually ALL the files contained in this folder will be copied
back as soon as u delete them, rename them or attempt to modify them. a way
to disable the FPS is to modiy some registry entries but it only works with a
debug version of the kernel ((. at least this should point u to some
direction to continue your search...